If you are looking to have a bad day, all you have to do is skip sleep the night before. Some of the most easily recognized signs of sleep deprivation include exhaustion, daytime drowsiness, and grumpiness. However, Forbes Magazine tells us that there some additional sneaky ways that a single night of poor sleep can throw you off:
- You’re feeling depressed, and anxious: Researchers found that individuals, who slept less than 6 hours night before, scored significantly higher in levels of stress, depression, and anxiety, compared to those who slept longer.
- You’ll make more trips to the bathroom the next night: Our bodies slow down the production of urine as we sleep, preventing us from awakening throughout the night. If you don’t get the proper amount of sleep the night before, this mechanism fails you.
- You’ll eat more, and more unhealthily: A lack of sleep has been proven to play a part in expanding your waistline. One study estimates that you will consume about an additional 560 calories the next day as you lean more toward fatty food choices like pizza and doughnuts.
- You look sad and less attractive: In 2 separate studies, volunteers looked at a mixture of photographs of people who had been awake for 31 hours and others who had gotten 8 hours of sleep the night before. The untrained volunteers were blinded to the conditions and viewed the photographs in random order, yet still the sleep-deprived people were rated as less attractive and sadder.
- You feel more left out: When you are sleep deprived, you are more likely to react more strongly to feeling of social exclusion, compared to your well-rested peers.
Consistently collecting 7-9 hours of high-quality sleep each night can help change your life around. You’ll be healthier, more optimistic, boost your productivity, and the people around you will take notice. Make accomplishing your goals easier by climbing into bed earlier tonight for an uninterrupted snooze session!