One of the best ways to ensure a great night’s sleep is to make the most of your bedtime ritual. Our bodies aren’t machines that fall asleep on command, no matter how hard we try. Try these sleep tips we found on Men’s Journal to get deeper, refreshing sleep each night:
1. Turn down the lights: Darkness is a cheap, but effective sleeping pill to get you into bed at the right time. Begin dimming lights around the house ahead of your bedtime to allow your body to produce melatonin, which makes you feel sleepy.
2. Cool your bedroom: The National Sleep Foundation recommends that you crank down your thermostat to 65 degrees Fahrenheit, the ideal temperature for shut-eye.
3. Avoid your bedroom: Well at least until the last minute! Sleep experts recommend only using you bedroom for sleep and sex to encourage a mental association between your bed and snooze.
4. Put away electronics: Since your favorite digital devices emit blue light, which causes your body to stop producing melatonin, turn off your TV, step away from your laptop or iPad and take your eyes off Instagram an hour before your bedtime.
5. Don’t visit the kitchen: Unless you are used to having a bedtime snack or hunger is really getting to you, don’t have a big meal right before bed, instead aim to finish 3 hours ahead of time. Digestion problems including heart burn and gas can make sleep uncomfortable.
6. Keep your bedroom clutter-free: A neat bedroom works wonders on de-cluttering your brain from stresses and encouraging you to relax as you climb into bed at the right time.
7. Make your nightcap a lot earlier: While alcohol can help you feel sleepy since it’s a depressant, once it metabolizes hours later it increases your chances of tossing and turning during the night.
8. Save stressful activities for mornings: It’s important to actually relax for climbing into bed to set the stage for sleep. Any stimulating or stressful activity is likely to wake you up as it raises your blood pressure.
9. Turn your alarm clock around: Watching how much time you have left to sleep is an easy way to bring on insomnia as you become more anxious about your upcoming work day.
10. Ban pets from your bedroom: While you love your furry friend, their different sleep cycle can cause sleep disruptions as well as sleep disruptions. At most, place your pet in their own bed on the opposite side your bedroom.
Try adding one new sleep tip to your bedtime routine each night for 10 days and let us know how it goes! You deserve high-quality sleep, even when you aren’t on vacation!